[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 27 17:30:19 CDT 2017

Dear Ron

>No one would ever want to run a TLUD without making char.  They do horribly in combusting the char.

Our experiences differ.  We received stoves for testing the in CSI Pilot in Central Java that not only made char then burned it and the char could be forwarded to the next replication of the cooking sequence. Stoves that could do that were, according to the rules of engagement, tested with a fuel load that included recycled fuel from a previous burn, during all evaluations. Fuel consumption is the requirement for additional fuel sourced outside the cooking system needed to replicate a cooking sequence in any of a series of identical replications, save the first. The ‘save the first’ refers to stoves such as the TLUD’s that can burn charcoal, which can use remnant fuel in the next replication of the test. All stick-burning stoves were tested in this manner as well, if they could use partially combusted fuel.

The lab staff in Yogyakarta, in spite of the relative simplicity of the lab, were able to get very tight groupings of test results even though the ‘forwarded fuel’ varied a bit in mass and composition.

It can be argued that the correct assessment for such a series of test replicates is to average the entire set into a single result, rather than ‘averaging’ the averages produced individually for each test. I favour this approach as it has a sound logical basis.

PL >>I am not certain of the physical meaning of the (1-e2) equation.
                >[RWL6:  I hope you will try to learn of its importance.  (Essentially important only in tier rankings.)

Tier ranks have nothing to do with that equation. The formula is a postulate with no sound physical basis. That is why no examples could be found outside the WBT using it as an efficiency calculation. Please refer to Tami’s recent categorical re-statement of her message earlier this year.

It is only ‘important’ to those who wish a 25% efficient stove to be reported as having an efficiency of 50%. It is more important that such pseudo-science be stopped in its tracks.