[Stoves] World stove Re: Mis-information

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 1 01:56:28 CDT 2018

Ron,

1.  I am glad to see via the website     www.worldstove.com   that World
Stove is again with a presence on the Internet.   Copyright 2018.
Attractive site.

2.  I am not into FaceBook communications, and Nat is still not listed
as a recipient of these email messages, (but I hope Ron or someone is
sending him blind copies or keeping him  posted.)   WE (not just me)
look forward to further contact with him.

3.  Several important items on the website  (I might have missed
something, so people should read it for themselves):
A.  Six different models of stoves, but not described.
B.  Use of pellet fuel mainly (which is fine, and is highly appropriate).
C.  No clearly identified projects, nor mention of numbers of stoves in use.
D.  The diagram of the stove (as included in an earlier message by
someone) is from this website, not from some earlier posting.
E.  World Stove does not work with individuals, but only with entities
that are screened (vetted) by World Stove.   No indication of who those
currently are.
F.  A very important technical note:
> The air is drawn through a flame cap at a rate that is slower than
> that which would be needed to consume all the oxygen present in the
> air, leaving mostly heated nitrogen as the driving force for our
> pyrolisis in the fuel. A significant advantage of this is
> spectrographic analysis of biochar produced in a correctly operated
> LuciaStove shows that the resultant biochar has a nitrogen spike.
> Nitrogen is a very volatile gas and in other forms of pyrolisis is
> driven out of the biomass. Subsequent lab and greenhouse analysis have
> confirmed that the nitrogen in the biochar produced by the LuciaStove
> is accessible to plants.
FOR ME (maybe not for others), the above is the first addressing of the
issue that O2 cannot make it downward throught the top flames. Pyrolysis
certainly can happen without O2 present (as seen in any retort where
flame is only on the outside of the biomass container).   And N2 that is
at combustion temperatures could bring the needed heat to the biomass.

If that is indeed the case, the hot N2 will NOT cause a TLUD type MPF
(pyrolytic front that is rather thin, maybe 2 cm.).   Instead, the hot
N2 gases will dry, torrify, and then pyrolyze a zone as deep as the area
where the temperatures are sufficiently high.   It would be nice to have
some research evidence about the thickness of the zone where these
actions are occuring.   For example, we want to know what is the
temperature at each level inside the column of fuel as the stove is in
opeation for 10 minutes, then 20, then 30, 40, etc to the end.    And to
know the temperature of the gases that are exiting outward from the fuel
column at the lower holes.  (Note: these holes should not be called
"primary air" holes because that is not their function in such stoves.).

There should be questions about the nature of the char / biochar that is
produced.   Retort chars are anoxic (without any O2 or flame presence),
whereas TLUD chars are oxic (with a glowing burning at the MPF).   We do
recognize the presence and release (change of molecular position) during
pyrolysis of some of the oxygen atoms in the carbohydrates, and they can
become CO and especially CO2 (with exothermic release of heat), but no
"glow" as far as I know.  Nobody talks of a "flame-type process" inside
of retorts barrels.   None should occur in the stoves that are being
discussed here.

I do maintain that such stoves (crediting them  with downward flows of
gases) are quite distinct, are certainly not TLUD stoves.  Those stoves
deserve a REAL NAME that is not just to change the letter U to an O in
TLUD to be TLOD.   Can someone please give this stove type a REAL name
that is not a derivative of a stove type (TLUD) which it is not.

Personal note to Ron, but for everyone to assist:   Can I beg you to
stop calling it TLOD.   It deserves a real name.   Even the terms
"opposing draft" or "opposite draft" is demeaning and diminishing of the
uniqueness of these stoves because it requires someone to know about
what it is opposing.   Please go get a decent name for this stove
type.   And stop hanging on the coattails of the established TLUD name
(which is not just an acronym any longer).

Let's have a contest:  NAME THAT STOVE!!!   (actually name that STOVE
TYPE).   Here are some names (partly in jest).
A.   The venturi effect is pulling the pyrolytic gases outward from
those lower holes.   Sort of sucking out those gases.   Hence:  The
sucker stove.   (No, not a good name.)

B.  Name it after Nat Mulcahy or World Stove.  (Nat should be consulted
about that possibility.)

C.  Please do not call it "Lucia" because that name has special meaning
with the forced air stove by World Stove, which is VERY different from
the stove type being discussed.

D.  Oppositional stoves.     Or simply "OD"   without any reference to
TL (top lit).    Maybe    "DOD"   or   "DDOD"  for DownDraft Opposing
Draft.  But I think that the words "opposing" and "opposition" do not do
justice.   And DD for downdraft has a clear meaning in the world of
full-featured gasifiers .

E.  Why not call it a "rockette" or "rocket-et" stove so that it can be
confused with rocket stoves?   (no, not a good name.)

Marketing is important.   The name for this stove is important. And TLOD
sucks as name, and it comes from Ron, not from Nat.    (And I personally
consider it to be an infringement on the established name of TLUD.)

So please get a name before "sucker" catches on.   And Nat can ask Ron
to not bring up that "O" name any more.

Warm regards to Nat.   I hope this message gets sent onward to you.    I
remember well and fondly our conversations at some meetings. Glad to
hear about your two children!!   And about activity by World Stove.   I
hope you send further information.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 3/31/2018 11:57 PM, Ronal W. Larson wrote:
> [...]
> they added fuel both when there was and wasn’t an MPF.   It would make
> sense to do so while there was an MPF.*
> *I can’t agree on ignoring anyone’s research - and especially
> Jessica’s - which I thought was quite complete (and she had an expert
> as thesis advisor and some top stove people on her doctoral committee).*
>>
>> And nobody has found Heath Putnam yet?   He has valuable inputs if we
>> can find him.
> *[RWL6’:   I agree that Putnam “has valuable inputs”.  But he was
> claiming I believe (for awhile) that all TLUDs operate with a central
> downdraft.  Not your point of view I am sure.   I have looked at one
> of his experiments fairly closely and will try to write on it later.
>  I think it shows how to distinguish TLUD from TLOD - and he didn’t
> see these obvious differences.*
> *
> *
> *Ron
> *
>>
>> Paul
>> Doc  /  Dr TLUD  /  Prof. Paul S. Anderson, PhD
>> Email:psanders at ilstu.edu
>> Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
>> Website:www.drtlud.com
>> On 3/31/2018 8:17 PM, Ronal W. Larson wrote:
>>> List and Crispin and Gordon:  cc Paul, Kirk and Andrew  (in this thread)
>>>
>>> See inserts below.

>>> *RWL1:  Thanks to Crispin for his additional support that World
>>> Stove is alive and well. *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *I agree with Crispin that it is by no means obvious with how the
>>> TLOD works.  But I suggest that there is now not much reason to
>>> doubt what Nat has claimed in his successful patent.  The patent is
>>> at: *
>>> *https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110209698. *
>>> * Look especially at patent figure item #50 in part #19 for what I
>>> consider the main new (Venturi) feature that is not a part of any TLUD.*

>>> *[RWL2:  Agreed.  The simple figure given by Gordon is only vaguely
>>> similar to the many figures in the patent.  I am intentionally not
>>> re-inserting the figure introduced by Gordon.*

>>> *[RWL3:  I agree on being able to add fuel with Nat’s TLODs.*
>>> (Some Mulcahy videos show this.) * But so can any TLUD.  The
>>> doctoral thesis by Jessica Tryner covers this topic as expressed
>>> (with unhappiness) by Paul Anderson at:*
>>> http://www.drtlud.com/epost/re-stoves-new-handbook-for-biomass-cookstove-research-design-and-development/
>>> *which leads one to *
>>> http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/517.html
>>> *where there are multiple cites to Dr.  Tryner’s work.  This
>>> (otherwise very nice) stove overview document has nothing on TLODs
>>> and World Stove.*

>>> *[RWL4:   Disagree again.  Essentially no ash.   A main beauty of
>>> the TLOD is that it is virtually impossible to burn up the produced
>>> char (unlike all TLUDs).  This is mentioned briefly in the above
>>> patent.  Nat makes a major emphasis on using the produced char as