[Stoves] Extended burn time in TLUD Chinese camp stoves

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Thu Apr 5 10:49:04 CDT 2018

I came across this youtube video by someone claiming a one hour burn time
with wood in the Chinese wood gas camp stoves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdcVqrDMPag

Previous experiments stacking twigs or lengths of wood vertically
typically made no difference over chunking, snapping and just chucking
stuff in and shaking it down, but I thought I would try to reproduce what
was done in the video.

I had some hazel coppice stems which I cut to length and split into
quarters.  This morning, once thoroughly dried out on top of our gas
boiler I stacked the chamber much tighter than shown and was immediately
impressed by how much heavier the stove was over a normal loading.
Quarter sections like that allow for very efficient loading with minimum
gaps, but still plenty of room for sufficient primary air.

The 'control' was knowing that the same hazel chunked and zero moisture
would be a flare up lasting about ten minutes.  What I got was a good
steady but robust and smokeless flame for between 25 and 30 minutes, and
no need to refuel as I usually do to complete a breakfast cook.  There
was some very nice char left over as well.  This is the longest cooking
time without refuelling I have achieved with this stove, doubling or
trebling the burn time, but still with a strong fire.  Definitely scope
there for an air dried moisture content to prolong the burn still further
at a still usable heat output, and presumably what the author of the
video did, though she doesn't say.

More fuel preperation involved, but not hard to imagine sustainably
growing and coppicing wood like hazel, chopping it green in a suitable
guillotine with a measured stop, and possibly even a simple held blade
for more even splitting with a hammer.  I seem to recall one of Dr
Nurhudu's videos showing similar neat vertical stacking of split wood in
the wood version of the Prime stove, so can definitely appreciate the
advantages now of vertical stacking, but it must be tight packed split
wood to confer the extended duration advantage.

Neil Taylor (emerging into a mostly very wet English spring)