[Stoves] 4 kW !

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Aug 2 09:14:22 CDT 2018

Dear Jock

>This is an all combustion solution with no drawdown.

I have worked out the impact of poor people off-grid and there is no reason to impose or deny them the benefits of modern technologies. A better argument might be that “We need the char for agricultural production.” (If that can be shown.)  If rich people want to return to the condition of their ancestors and live like the poor, they are free to do so. Around Waterloo there are many old order Mennonites and Amish families who voluntarily do exactly that, though the Amish use cellphones.

>Without drawdown, this is not a solution for climate disruption.

Define “climate disruption”.  Climate is the average of weather and a calculated average is not susceptible to “disruption”. The term is faddish and without meaning, literally.  Further: climate colonialism should be choked in its cradle. Equity demands a right to emit. The poor have no responsibility to act for the benefit of the rich. Live by example: stop driving, using electricity and consuming any plastic.

>In fact, it accelerates the natural carbon cycle and thus could be said to be problem.

This is also probably not true. If it is true, it may be a net benefit because over time, carbon is permanently (and detrimentally) being sequestered in weathered rocks. All life on Earth depends on CO2 which has been slowly disappearing from the atmosphere for hundreds of millions of years, now to the point that the very existence of plants is threatened. Eventually, long before the death of the sun, all CO2 will disappear from the atmosphere and all life on Earth will expire except sulphur-eating bacteria around sea floor vents and the rock-eating worms living deep in the ground (which are also sulphur-powered).

>A pyrolytic heat source for the Stirling engine would be a much better approach.

I agree that it might be a viable solution, if there is enough fuel available. I cannot say it would be "better" until some demonstration were made for net benefit. If the user has to collect twice as much fuel, it would have catastrophic, negative consequences in a system like Indonesia where, typically at present, production and consumption are in balance.

A win-win situation exists in the arena of space heating where the "waste heat" from generation is in any case needed in the home. Generating significant amounts of electrical power is not such a drag on the system so large that it cannot be overcome by improvements in system efficiency. The 5 kW Scandinavian pellet-fueled boiler is an example.

Jock Gill

P.O. Box 3

Peacham

VT 05862