[Stoves] TLUD-ND transition from hydrocarbon flame to charcoal flame

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:09:45 CDT 2018

Hello Kirk,
I don't have a problem with smoky transitions, but would like to offer
another solution.  In my 9" TLUD with a 24" high fuel container I use an
Aluminum plate that can be loaded with pieces of charcoal or wood.  The
pieces nearest the flame ignite and can be shoved into the container where
they insure ignition of the smoke that rises up through the char bed.  The
plate gets extremely hot and also ignites the raw wood pieces (see photo)
and these can be pushed into the fuel container to extend the cooking
time.  This stove usually burns at high power for about 90 minutes and if
additional simmering time is needed, the charcoal or wood on the plate does
the trick.  In the photo, the white material under the bricks is cast into
a steel oil drain pan, and consists of Plaster, Perlite, and crushed
glass.  This is an insulator, and is heavy enough to hold a steel lid on
top of the body of the stove as well as provide mass so the cook has a
sturdy cooking surface.  The grate is a cast iron frying pan perforated
with many small drilled holes.  This grate will tolerate the use of a small
fan (if required) to provide additional air if one chooses to burn some of
the charcoal, but I usually dump the charcoal into a tub of water
[image: 9 inch TLUD_AL_Plate.JPG]
as soon as the flames die down.