[Stoves] Effects of biomass pellet composition on the thermal and emissions performances of a TLUD cooking stove

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 03:21:57 CDT 2018

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 15:10, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

Crispin:
>So you have learned something informative about peanut shell pellets. The
energy density is reported AD (After drying). That is indeed the energy
content. Perhaps there is vegetable oil in it.

[RWL11:   The report on energy content should ALWAYS be on the pellets
as being used - not as if they were dried.

>Perhaps there is vegetable oil in it?  I look forward to hearing if that is the case.  The other figures in the paper show these peanut hell pellets were essentially identical to the other two types.

I just want to home in on one point : I agree with Ron the fuel mc
should be reported as used.

Unless there has been another mistake I was intrigued that a high
moisture content high calorific value fuel retained less char. Ronal
has analysed the report better than I can and seems to conclude a
mistake has been made and it may well be the miss reporting of
moisture,

As far as I know there are two reasons for a reduced amount of char,
high moisture content and raised primary air velocity.

Tom Reed wrote that if the mc is above 25% then there is no char
residue, I never replicated this as I could not sustain a TLUD burn at
these high moistures unless I also increased primary air velocity.

It's one of those interesting facets of a TLUD burn that I would have
liked to see in a laboratory where primary air and fuel moisture could
be strictly controlled, i'e' the rate of primary air being constant
and not affected by the changing resistance of the fuel column as the
pyrolysis moves down.

Andrew