[Stoves] FW: New York Times: Toxic Smoke Is Africa’s Quiet Killer. An Entrepreneur Says His Fix Can Make a Fortune

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:53:08 CST 2018

Crispin:

I believe I reviewed the carbon finance deal for this on this list earlier
this year. It met the World Bank CIF rules under C-Dev. I don't now
remember who bears the risk of non-performance; maybe it's a grant without
performance requirements.

It is an error on your and your correspondent's part to think that carbon
credits are available for forest protection.

Nor are they available for reduction of the "toxic smoke."

But NYT is easy to fool because its readers are ready to believe convenient
fiction.

This has been going on since around 1992 when AES planted CO2 offsetting
trees in a Belize forest. It all depends on paying glib bean-counters to
define project boundaries, hypothetical baselines, and expensive
certification methods. There's money for consultants.

I know. Christiana Figueres and I used to trade jokes about such 25 years
ago.

The CDM, Gold Standard, and aDALY games are more or less the same. There is
no problem to be solved, so it doesn't matter if any is solved, so long as
gentlemen's agreements are recorded. With due payments.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*