[Stoves] Emissions issues (A) with Flame Cap and TLUD char-making devices FW: follow-on to today's biochar emissions call

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 08:43:06 CST 2018

Dear Stovers and Charists,   This is message    (A)

I am sending TWO messages (A & B with this same introductory comment) about emissions from char-making devices, specifically Flame Cap (FC) and TLUD.  The messages are long and unfortunately were not on any Listservs, and were with Paul Taylor (Paul T, not to be confused with Paul A.).   Paul T. is today on his way back to Australia.   We spoke before he left.   Here are the main issues:

1.  Paul  T. is working with several co-authors (Hans-Peter Schmidt and others) to finalize a paper about emissions from char-making devices.  They would like some additional data (probably already collected, but not in their hands yet, so please consider sharing, with appropriate recognition for your work.)

2.  A major issue is the emission of methane from FC and TLUD char-making devices.  Paul T. is mentioning how important methane emissions are.   And I was saying that stove testing has NOT been measuring methane.  Who has measured it?   (Jim Jetter????)  Is methane release from FC devices so high (when new fuel is added, there are spikes of emissions) that it virtually negates the carbon-negative advantages of sequestering biochar that is made by FC devices.   And by inference, does  that also apply to biochar made by TLUD devices, noting that new fuel is NOT added and the spikes do not occur in the batch process of TLUD devices larger or small.

Comments are welcome on each separate Listservs, with appreciation of efforts to share as private forwards to  those who are on only one or neither of the Listservs.  Please distinguish between Paul T. and Paul A when making statements.  Paul A. is assisting.   Paul T. is the main person raising the issues.

Paul A.

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>       Skype:   paultlud