[Stoves] ISO and lab testing update

Ranyee Chiang rchiangtc285 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:11:26 CST 2018

 Thanks to all of the volunteers and counties (list of 45 countries -
https://www.iso.org/committee/4857971.html?view=participation) who have
participated in the ISO process so far. This is a huge effort with many
volunteers who developed text, reviewed comments, and updated documents as
part of the ISO working groups. Less visibly, though perhaps more
importantly, there are also committees within each country that have
reviewed documents, provided comments, and voted to approve or disapprove
documents.  This effort has led to where we are today...

We have 2 documents (Terms and Definitions; Voluntary Performance Targets)
that have been approved by the TC 285 countries for publication. These
documents are being processed for publication by ISO, and as soon as they
are online, I'll make sure to get the word out. There is also 1 document
(Laboratory Testing)  that has been approved at all the previous stages,
and has one final ballot for publication. These new documents represent the
experiences of all of the ISO participating experts and countries.  People
working in the sector shared what's worked, limitations with previous
testing methods, and their different needs in different situations, and
collaboratively built something better.

We also expect to have continual improvement. What we will have now is
better than where we were in the past, with older protocols. The goal of
this ISO effort is to improve on old protocols and start implementing the
new methods.  We also know that we will continue to learn into the future,
and the ISO process allows us to update documents and add additional
documents. In fact, ISO requires regular updates after documents are
published.

ISO is a process where people who are interested are welcome to sign up and
jump in. This makes sure we have diverse and independent viewpoints in the
ISO development and review. For anyone who had not signed up (which is OK
too - we can't force anyone to sign up), here is a video that effectively
and accurately portrays how it all works, and what your colleagues have
been working on.

https://youtu.be/2er292LRvsw

If you are part of the ISO TC 285 family, I also highly recommend the
video. I'm curious if anyone recognizes the main character in the video...

Best regards,
Ranyee