[Stoves] AVAN STOVE INSTRUCTIONS

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Sat Feb 10 04:32:01 CST 2018

Hi Michael,
Please be aware that the AVAN stove does not burn charcoal briquettes. It is a char-maker, rather than a char-burner due to its air-flow features. It burns raw biomass of nearly any size as long as it is still somehow chunky (not like fine sawdust of rice husk, for which you would need a different type of stove configuration). The AVAN stove turns raw biomass into char, which you then could use to produce charcoal briquettes (or alternatively use as biochar soil amendment).

Yet, I do agree with Andrew that you should consider the entire conversion chain from raw fuel input to the energy delivery under a cooking pot.

If you are still interested in the AVAN stove: the AVAN stove was indeed designed by Sai Baskar Reddy from India,  for construction plans I suggest you contact him directly.
You find more details on page 59 of the first edition of the manual on micro-gasification http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/files/micro_gasification_cooking_with_gas_from_biomass.pdf <http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/files/micro_gasification_cooking_with_gas_from_biomass.pdf>
I did not include this stove type in the second edition of the manual as I did not get feedback or evidence about sufficient spread in the field.

But before you copy any stove design, please be sure about what you want to achieve. Stove design starts with the fuel you want to burn. If you want to know more about that, I suggest you visit http://www.ethoscon.com/portfolio-item/ethos-conference-2016/ <http://www.ethoscon.com/portfolio-item/ethos-conference-2016/> and get the Stoves101 presentation (or wait until the most recent one from 2018 gets uploaded, or contact me directly offlist, it is too big to post here but it will be uploaded soon).
Welcome to the mystery world of how best to transform biomass energy into useful cooking energy in your respective context.

Christa