[Stoves] Bulk density of LPG vs pellets

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 13 09:15:27 CST 2018

Dear Stovers and friends,

I hope that someone can provide an answer to this question:

The situation:  A fuel for cooking needs to be transported to
communities in somewhat remote locations.   There are roads that at
least allow a pickup truck to go in and out year-round.  The people have
access to locally sources woody biomass fuel, but are interested in
having some better stoves with processed fuels.   In particular, they
are considering LPG in standard bottles/tanks that are brought in full,
and empties are taken back.    They are also considering  pellets that
are in typical 40 pound (~18 kg) bags, with local sales in smaller
quanties.   Consider initially that the pellets are made in the same
location where the LPG bottles are refilled.  (We can consider different
distances of transport later, if of interest).  (also, there will be
some differences if different sizes of LPG bottles or pellets in
super-sacks are used, but that is not of much interest in this initial
discussion.)

The question:  How much energy can be transported in each delivery trip,
and which becomes the most economical -- or are they about the same?
The LPG has more energy per kg of fuel, but must be transported in metal
containers that are cylindrircal and occupy much space.   The pelelts
are in bags that can be stacked (such as on a pallet of pellets).

Boilse down to:   LPG in bottles vs pellets in sacks.

My thanks to everyone who contributes to answering this question.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com