[Stoves] Bulk density of LPG vs pellets -- and WHY it matters

Gordon West gordon.west at rtnewmexico.com
Wed Feb 14 07:23:31 CST 2018

The Trollworks is developing a mobile, community-scaled unit that will: dry coarse chipped biomass; reduce it to pellet feedstock (most of which will be bagged); and use a portion of the pellets to make biochar and energy (for drying the incoming biomass feedstock and providing power to operate the system). The unit can be moved to any site with aggregated chipped biomass.

The pellets will be somewhat less dense than standard fuel, which will reduce the cost of making them but will not affect their suitability for making char+heat. The intent is to distribute the bagged pellets to micro-pyrolyzers, such as cooking devices and building heaters that make char for soil amendment and other uses. The end users could either use the biochar for their own farms and gardens, or they could exchange it for more pellet feedstock.

Gordon West