[Stoves] Coffee waste and briquettes

James Robinson jamesrobinson77 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 02:27:37 CST 2018

Hi Nikhil,

I wasn’t here in 2003 but these power cuts are said to be the worst on record. The problem with being over-reliant on hydro-electric all from one lake/river. Plans are ongoing for a coal station on the SW border with Mozambique where Tete province has huge coal deposits plus a railway line through Malawi to the Nacala port in Northern Mozambique. As a political fix they are importing approx. 40MW of diesel gensets and once installed ESCOM will hike tariffs by 25%, prices have historically been below the cost of production.

Most urban middle class cook with charcoal and some electricity, and LPG usage is still low. Induction cookers would be one answer but better to go after inefficient fridges and aircon, plus the habit of leaving lights on during the day. They already had a CFL switch out programme.

Regards

James Robinson

Zomba, Malawi

Cell (Malawi): +265993032902