[Stoves] Coffee waste and briquettes

Richard Stanley rstanley at mind.net
Wed Jan 3 14:45:31 CST 2018

HI James, Understood now: You are based in Malawi but working in  Timor -Leste..

A French volunteer was introducing briquettes in east Timor several years back.  I am not handy to my files here in Nicaragua but will be back in the US part of the Americas  mid to late January. Send me a reminder and I will dig up his cont. We were in the warm heart from 1994 thu mid 1999. Based in Lilongwe but traveled throughout .
act details or you.

The briquettes you saw in the market (in, presumably, Blantyre Malawi) were probably  coming from Blantyre or Indirande or perhaps Chiradzulu (about 15 -20 miles up and 5 miles off the Zomba road from Limbe). Neither group has capacity to scale up the production based on the tech they are likely still using.

We have however been working with groups in Haiti (Fuego del Sol), Hungary (Toln Project) ,  Guatemala (Fundacion Progressar) and more recently in the states (Balboa Island /Newport Beach)  for scaling up production. Haiti takes the lead as yet, as their stated capacity of 5000 bqs per day The range technology used by these groups  of the tis 3-8000 bqs (or a market of ≈ 2-500 families) per day.

So in short, indeed it can be scaled up to serious numbers with not much more than a 20 to 40 ton bottle jack (better; air-over-hydraulic jack) a larger 15 - 20 kw hammer mill and much larger drying rack capacity. This  scale would only make sense for urban areas though. The manual methods still make economic sense for the rural populations because transportation costs of this low value per volume product, relative to the ease of local replicability mitigate against urban based production for areas much beyond the immediate urban market.

The technology is essentially a cardboard table sized press. in which the compression happens from beneath the table top --pressing the mash up via a reinforced tray containing  piston rods and pistons-- through a rack of between 12 and 36 parallel aligned cylinders,  against a reinforced closed and heavily locked -but quick releasing-lid.  Excess water (lots of it in fact) is captured in a tray beneath the pistons (and  just above the jack beneath) and routed back into the mixing tank.

Other schools (Haiti ) p the refer down compression with the pistons and jack mounted above the cylinders. One has to weigh the costs against ease of maintenance and output etc. for a choice in that option.

In short, it is very much scaleable. Whether in Timor or Malawi !

Let me know if you want to pursue this option.

Best,
 Richard Stanley
Laguna de Apoyo Nicaragua