[Stoves] WBT disagrements

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 8 20:51:44 CST 2018

All,

I recently asked a question about whether the disagreement with the WBT included the sensors, filters and computer graphing as well as the water boiling portion of the overall test.  I have received several responses from Crispin and Xavier (some off list).  From all that was said by them I have assembled an answer:  The sensors, filters and computer read-outs are part of the WBT, but not part of the disagreement with the WBT.  So this disagreement is with a portion of the WBT test, not all of it.  Also, I believe that Crispin has a second disagreement that questions whether some sensors and setups are able to provide accurate read-outs.  I believe that this is a legitimate concern for scientific study, however I also believe in different standards for different purposes.  Perfection is not always needed.

This is an acceptable answer for me.  It is not pro or con to the WBT or any protocol.  My question was intentionally neutral.  I just wanted to know the extent of the disagreement.

My position on the WBT remains neutral.  I use it because it is available for me in a lab, whereas the other protocols are not.  The WBT does very well for what I need.  It tells me if a change in the stove is helpful or not.  Whether or not it is perfect science is not important for my interests.

I believe that Aprovecho (ARC) plays an important part for wood stove development and education and I remain a supporter.

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10