[Stoves] A call to stop using the WBT

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Tue Jan 30 00:20:56 CST 2018

Part of the problem with the WBT is its abuse of efficiency. It is
fundamentally flawed to subtract the energy contained in any char from the
energy in the fuel fed, in calculating the efficiency.

The first thing you want from a cookstove is that it should cook.  So you
define its efficiency as the energy actually delivered to the food divided
by the energy in the fuel actually fed to do the cooking. That is the
cooking efficiency.

If you produce a char by-product which is useful, you can similarly define a
char production efficiency as the energy in the useful char produced divided
by the energy in the fuel originally fed. It tells the char user what he
needs to know, namely whether the cookstove does a good job of turning some
of the fuel into char.

If you insist of subtracting the char from the fuel fed to calculate an
efficiency, as in the WBT, you get a meaningless number.  It does not tell
you how efficiently the cookstove cooks, and it also does not tell the char
user whether the cookstove does a good job of turning some of the fuel into
char.

Philip