[Stoves] Triangular graphs to understand stove performance. (relating to First-ever international standard...)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 4 23:28:32 CDT 2018

Ron,

1.  You wrote:
> *D is positive.  It is what is left after subtracting A (the desired
> stove energy) and from B (the input fuel energy).  The WBT reports A,
> B, and C.  As you point out, it is easier to think B = 1, and A, C, D
> are then percentages.*

*B (the input fuel energy)**(think B = 1, and A, C, D are then
percentages.)*
*A (the desired stove energy) *( What do you mean by "desired"?  Is it
not the actual energy that went into the cooking pot?)*
**C (the charcoal energy) ***this is removed when the charcoal is
collected after the cooking event..*
**D = inefficiency *(the heat that is lost or "not used")*

and B = A+C+D
*
**as can be deduced from viewing what's going on in a triangular diagram. *
*
2.  Triangular graph.   You wrote:
> *If someone sends me A, B, and C data - I'll send back the graphical
> version.*
No data for B.    In a triangular graph, this would be "unity" of ONE
(the sum total of 3 variables that MUST add up to 100%)    or better
stated as 100%.

In a triangular graph (which is equilateral with the base at the
bottom), there are 3 corners (apex), one for 100% of each of the 3
contributing variables that each "have one of the three sides" for
showing values from 0% to 100%.     See the copied graph below, and put
C (for the energy of the charcoal) along the base edge, with 100%
charcoal at the lower right hand apex.   I suggest that A (for the "good
energy" that is into the cooking activity) be on the right-hand slope
with its 100% of A being at the top apex.   That puts D on the left
slope, with the lines being sloping downward. In the diagram, the dark
lines show an example of A = 35%, C = 50%, and D = 15%   (Just an
example of how to read the graph, not representing any stove).   Of
course, B = 100%.

>       Triangular Graphs
>
> Triangular graphs are graphs with three axis instead of two, taking
> the form of an equilateral triangle. The important features are that
> each axis is divided into 100, representing percentage. From each axis
> lines are drawn at an angle of 60 degrees to carry the values across
> the graph. The data used must be in the form of three components.
>
> They are useful when identifying change over time, as a position changes.
>
> <https://sites.google.com/site/skillsa229/triangular-graphs/bp03-04i.gif?attredirects=0>

In this diagram, we will place C (for the charcoal energy) on the base
line that increases from left to right.   A on the right slope thtat
increased upward, and D on the left slope that increases downward.

Ron, with this arrangement, you or anyone can put in actual or
hypothetical data sets that represent types of stoves.  I bellieve that
the results will be of interest to all of us.   I look forward to
further discussion.

Note by Paul:   I do not know what    e3    is or is not.   Ron wrote:
>>> *And Crispin continues to mis-state what e3 is.  It is NOT the
>>> efficiency for the test providing A,B, and C.  It is a statement of
>>> what would be expected if char (variable C) had NOT been produced. *
I read that and still do not know what    e3   is or is not.    Does it
matter?

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com