[Stoves] Solar Cooking facilities for all rural households in India

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jul 10 20:30:09 CDT 2018

Small contribution Andrew:

48 VDC is much better for control electronics, as you say, and all bicycles are 48 Volts, that I have looked at. It seems the electric vehicle industry is settling on that because it is regulated less stringently.

I don't know how many of you have any electronics training but "when I was young" any Class C circuit was permitted without safety because it was incapable of blowing anything up, even itself. A short circuit caused nothing untoward.  Heaven knows what they call that now but the principle still applies.

If 48 is safe to touch and the parts are 1/4 the size, why would anyone go for 12 volt anything? What voltage is produced under a nominal load from 20 Li-ion batteries?

The CAU students and I looked at induction cookers to see what they delivered. First, they deliver less than the claimed efficiency, closer to 75% than the claimed A, B, C ratings (respectively 88, 90, 92%). Second the power rating is the consumption, not the cooking power.

Cooking at high power would still draw at least 30 amps, 40 from a big unit (2 kW), from a 48 volt pack. Would it be better to store heat?