[Stoves] Solar Cooking facilities for all rural households in India

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 22:46:37 CDT 2018

And why, sir?

What makes "We should follow the natural process in our scheme of things
and get away from the "electric" mentality." a valid assertion?

I cannot tell what "natural process" and "our scheme of things" Anil is
referring to. It is metaphysical chatter to clutter the mind, nothing more.
Electricity works;direct combustion is too much hassle, especially with
wood.

Induction stoves cook.

Clean, cheap, and quick.

Just go take a look. Millions of cooks have no knowledge of - and have no
patience for - the theory that"it does not make sense to produce
electricity from the sun and then convert it to heat." They use induction
stoves, and the fact that electrons are moved by sunlight makes no
difference.

It makes perfect sense, when grid PV is delivered at less than US 10 cents
per kWh into the grid. (I will discuss distribution tariffs if you tell me
which company.)

I cannot tell what difference it makes and to whom that "Only 20% energy in
the sun spectrum is able to produce photoelectric effect whereas 60% of
solar energy has utilizable heat component." If you can find a cheaper way
to make your tea and meals with solar heat, I am sure Piyush Goyal will
spend another $1 billion in subsidy.

Apart from the fact that grid induction cooking can give commercial LPG a
competition, it also may stimulate the market for better biomass stoves.

It is not an either/or proposition. If you give a cook a $20 induction
stove (220V), you do away with Kirk Smith's fancy idea of giving every LPG
customer a spare tank (also $20 or more). Then the cook  says, "I have an
LPG stove, I have an induction stove, but now I want that Magic Wood Stove!
I have saved enough time and money to indulge my soul in just the perfect
wood stove for my weekend lunches.

Those who say there can be only one stove and that all the 600 million
households of WHO database can only afford a 90% subsidized wood stove to
be used exclusively but not an LPG stove with fuel subsidy and certainly
not both  together have some theories of income growth and household
expenditures 50 years old (if they have any theory or evidence at all).

Paradoxical as it is, design and market aspirational wood stoves - and wood
fuels - usable in corresponding contexts. Fuel fetishism is passe. Compared
to 20 years ago, 220V grid is now accessible to roughly 1 billion more
people (or will be, by 2020) with reasonable reliability. With all that
investment in wiring and switches, all the more useful to promote induction
cooking, no matter what the generation source.

Yes, I can tell from personal experience that it takes some getting used
to,that one plate is not enough, and that it sure does not cook everything.

All these adjustments will take a couple of decades. But that is a shorter
period than how long the poor have waited so far for electricity.

Nikhil.

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*