[Stoves] TLUD stoves and tests

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 18:56:03 CDT 2018

Xavier:

Nicely put.

The way I read Kirk H., his complaint is that "these cooking vessel tests
.. do not measure the qualities of the stove itself."

You and Crispin seem to be obsessed with "reliability". Of course,
reproducibility is a hallmark of science. But my question is, "reliability"
of what and why?

There is no reason to worry about fuel or thermal efficiency per se; it is
the overall economy of cooking - which no doubt includes costs of food
ingredients, water, fuel, vessels, stove, time - that even a supposedly
illiterate woman understands and tries to obtain.

Equally, there is no reason to worry about per minute emission rates unless
they are shown to predictably affect exposures, not computed fantasies of
air circulation models for closed spaces, one room or two or three.

So, except for CDM and Gold Standard who rely on fictional CO2 avoidance
(and ignore health pollutants), or marketers of HAPIT, who cares about
performance metrics and tiers that you and Crispin, along with many others,
signed off on six or more years ago (Hague or Lima)?

In that sense, I think Kirk H. has advanced a most valuable and succinct
suggestion, even keeping efficiency as a metric -

"How about looking into some more versatile tests that are not limited to a
pot of water.  How would we test the efficiency of getting the heat into a
wok being used for stir frying?  Perhaps we could use an infrared
thermometer to measure the temperature of the food and end the test when it
all reaches a temperature that kills bacteria.  How about testing the stove
and the cooking vessel separately, so each has its own values?  That would
give the consumer a much better preview of both, and more knowledge to pick
and choose."

Amen. This is complicated but a step toward realism. Different fuels and
meals can provide additional variation.

The ProPublica piece is junk journalism, another trip report from poverty
tourism. I think a new thinking can start with a modest acknowledgement
that a cookstove is for cooking, that performance metrics may only be
defined in the context of a"service standard" (actions such as boil, steam,
wok fry, deep fry, roast, and major meal types that cover most of these
actions and employ different vessels) and of public policy (i.e.,
non-cooking - e.g., air quality improvement).

A repeat plea - listen to the cooks who cook meals, not numbers.

Reading the Indonesia pilot report yesterday, I remember an analogy with
Indonesia Solar Home Systems project, which became a template for many
other SHS projects. For bulk procurement under the rules of competitive
bidding, entire systems were specified; this led to one disaster after
another. Under the SHS projects, components had to comply with standards,
but retailers were free to design the 35Wp, 50Wp SHS and after-sales
service pitch customized to their target customers.

Just maybe, this Indonesia cookstove pilot has created a template to
promote customer-centric design and subsidy scheme unlike anything EPA had
in mind in setting off the ISO exercise.

Nikhil

(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*