[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 26 top lit updraft burning

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 27 16:00:36 CDT 2018

Norbert and list:

	1.   Thanks for the historical review and comments.

	2.   I hope you can add a few more comments from the MHA and SNEWS perspectives on the relationship between top lighting and char-making.  I know that you have yourself been making char in your own MH - and perceive that to be fairly unusual for your profession.  Specifically, in the 1992 time period, was there anyone doing top lighting for char-making purposes?

	3.  You wrote:  "At Toronto we talked with Tempcast, who told us that they have abandoned their underfire air completely and are developing a new air system based on top down burning."
	On this list, top lighting always (??) refers to char-making first (emphasize first).  Many of the commercial stoves like the Phillips and the Mimi Moto, adjust air flows when the pyrolysis front hits the bottom and then consume the char.  We have been told that the Dutch developer of the Phillips regularly (?) did stop his own personal unit when the pyrolysis front reached the bottom - and did save the char.
	My question on this sentence is whether we should call this operation more like a kon tiki - which has zero "underwire air".  Can you say more about the Tempcast "new air system".   I am suggesting here there may have been top-lighting but not up draft.  And presumably Tempcraft was not interested in making char/

	4.  Also can you say something about the term "contraflow"  in this sentence:  "Elsewhere in this issue you'll find a report on some initial testing we did on contraflow heaters at Jerry Frisch's new lab."    This sounds like it might have been a downdraft system.  On this list we only hear from Gordon West and Bill Knauss with their continuous TLUD, in which the pyrolysis front is stationary, because the fuel is being continuously fed upwards.  They are optimizing towards char production.  Could your "contraflow" approach produce char?

Thanks again for this and other great contributions to this list.

Ron