[Stoves] Report on MM TLUD in Rwanda

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 20:05:16 CDT 2018

Paul  et al

	Thanks for the lead.   I wish I could spend more time on this.  I may have missed something that would alter the following comments.

	My overall main impression is that the situation at the refugee camp was stacked against the concept that was being evaluated.  The stove and pellets may have been subsidized (no mention of any subsidy) - but the Inyenyeri concept was competing against free firewood.  It is no wonder that the recipient families were happy about everything except the price.   I never saw that this was an unfair situation anywhere in the write-up.

	My impression of the Mimi Moto stove is high (but I have never used one). I was present once when one was torn apart and favorable comments given on all aspects.  The fact that these were leased (with satisfaction essentially guaranteed) is good in a business model.  But it would be good to have other options.

	My main disappointment in the test was that I saw no mention of users making money while cooking.  It seems likely that there were no instructions about stopping the cooking when the pyrolysis front hits the bottom and selling the char (which is in wide use in this refugee camp).

	Probably also instructions given to only use pellets in the stove - whereas it is quite possible that there were small twigs around - or some of the free firewood could be cut up into something resembling the purchased pellets.

	It also seems that ALL pellets were priced to include the lease payment on the stove. If that is the case, that is a major marketing error.

 	I’d like to hear what the Mimi Moto would have to say on this report - and the claim of not being a cost saver.  Also Inyenyeri - who should be congratulated at entering this very difficult market area.

Here are a few excerpts:

	p30:   However, some participants in FGDs noted that it can be frustrating to have to completely remove the used pellets before adding another batch to relight the stove.

	p31:    Health and safety was one of the areas where we saw the most drastic changes after the use of the Mimi Moto.   (see figure 40)

	p       When asked how to improve the program, participants across groups agreed, “if the price would go down to 100 RWF per kilo and the subscription fee go down to 20kg per 2,000 RWF, people would be using pellets exclusively.”

	Paul and other list members:   I’m anxious to hear your views.    Two more small comments below.

Ron

> On May 31, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> Stovers,
>
> Below is the link to the info about a major study of Mimi Moto TLUD-FA stoves with pellet fuels conducted in Rwanda.   This link gives the overview plus a link to get the full 70-page report (assessment) and to register for a free webinar about the project results.
	[RWL:  The webinar is 25 July (6:00 AM in Colorado)

> https://nonprofitchronicles.com/2017/10/17/inyenyeri-a-bold-plan-for-clean-cookstoves/?blogsub=flooded#blog_subscription-5 <https://nonprofitchronicles.com/2017/10/17/inyenyeri-a-bold-plan-for-clean-cookstoves/?blogsub=flooded#blog_subscription-5>://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/05-25-2018-report-refugees-see-social-benefits-and-financial-challenges-with-clean-cooking-project-in-rwanda-camp.html

	[RWL:  There is more good information at both the Inyenyeri and Mimi Moto sites.