[Stoves] Development of culturally appropriate stove testing methods

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 5 11:05:35 CDT 2018

Stovers,

I have read major parts, but not all of the publication, so my comments
could be incorrect or insufficient.   But here goes:

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Development-of-Culturally-Appropriate-Stove-Testing-Methods

1.  Congratualations to Tafadzwe (known to his friends as Taffy, but
maybe with a different spelling) and his three co-authors (including
Crispin).  This publication should be studied widely.  (Crispin, please
be sure that the co-authors receive this message and can send replies to
the Stoves Listserv directly or via you.)

2.  It is about stove testing METHODS.   Key is the water heating test
(WHT) as an alternative to the water boiling test (WBT). Bring the pot
of water to 80 deg C and then put on another pot to continue heating,
repeat as long as the test time.   Also of importance is that the stoves
are on a sensitive scale that can reveal the weight loss (fuel used) as
the test progresses.

3.  The changing of the pot of water means no intentional changing of
the power of the stove during the test.   That is, there is no
"simmering" stage (which is a major contention in the WBT).   And no
"fiddling" with the turn-down abilities.   A stove can be run at high
power, and again SEPARATELY at middle or low power.  But not mixing the
power levels.   This is especially applicable to stoves that do not have
much or any turn-down ability.   (see discussion of stoves below).

(Comment:  Regardless of whether the WBT is used or not, the WHT appears
to  me to  be logical and useful.)

4.  The title of the publication is:
> Heterogeneous Stove Testing Methods for the Evaluation of Domestic
> Solid-Fuel Cookstoves
I am not so sure that the word "heterogeneous" is the right term, but
that could just be my personal opinion.
The words "culturally appropriate" (in the Subject line of the email
from Crispin) were not seen in the publication (I did not see them) and
the publication does not make an issue about culturally appropriate
testing of cooking methods.

5.  "Solid-Fuel" is a key term, and in this publication does NOT refer
to wood or dry biomass.   The fuels discussed are charcoal and coal.
That is fine, but they are a limited subset of the varieties of solid
fuels.

6.  Therefore, the stoves tested included 2 charcoal stoves, a
coal-fueled downdraft gasifier, and the common South African Imbuela
(bucket burning of coal) that was IGNITED IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS. The
traditional way is to ignite at the bottom (call it bottom lit or BL)
and the other is at the top (top lit or TL).  See the report for the
differences.   My one comment is that the use of the "TLUD" name
(normally associated with wood micro-gasification) is a bit of a stretch
when presenting a single-walled, metal, "largish" bucket with many side
holes and filled with coal.

7.  The publication opens the door for further testing that should
established stoves, with comparative data of the WHT and the WBT so that
the science of stove testing can be advanced.   Maybe Crispin or Taffy
can tell us about any further plans (or options) for stove testing with
the WHT.

My appologies in advance for any omissions or mis-understandings.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com