[Stoves] Development of culturally appropriate stove testing methods

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:37:08 CDT 2018

Crispin:

Your reference to water pumps reminded me of some charts I saw decades ago,
probably in connection with PV.

1. What did those charts for water pumps measure? Efficiency and emission
rates as functions of power for diesel pumps? (I think this is a dumb
question, but let me confirm).

2. The practice of generating performance curves, reflecting
'heterogeneity', is a remarkable breakthrough. Indeed, quite radical,
compared to the US fantasy of NSPS max/min and period averaging. A small
household cookstove is not a continuous boiler, which is why I have hated
the WBT as a tyranny of theoreticians.

What is more, I think debates about power levels, pot type and size,
turndown ability, all become secondary when performance curves are
generated instead of single numbers or for min/max regulatory approvals
(for which I don't see much promise anyway, until WHO starts funding
 Kitchen Kops).

And, as you add, as needed, other performance measures - including
subjective ones - and other variables - fuel chemistry, foods - you may get
designers to produce stoves thatsel to the users and not to the grantmakers
and their expert advisors with cuckoo ideas about what must be given to the
cooks whether or not it is good for them.

For example, a cook decided what to cook at a particular time depending on
the timing of meal delivery, identity or status of the eater, availability
of enough water, and of course, availability of ingredients.  Such things
vary home to home, day to day, leaving aside partially or fully cooked
purchased foods.

A heterogeneous testing method opens up the possibility of designing real
stoves for real users, not academic stoves for academic papercookers. Once
a convenient, usable product is designed, let marketers and subsidies do
their work. No need to continue with infantile efficiency equations for a
single number.

Do I understand you correctly? What next steps for common sense for
cooking?

Nikhil Desai

“Good food, good eating, is all about blood and organs, cruelty and
decay.” Anthony
Bourdain

On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <