[Stoves] Celebrate! First-ever international standard for laboratory testing of cookstoves published.

scda2 at t-online.de scda2 at t-online.de
Thu Jun 28 05:18:12 CDT 2018

hmm would love to read this new WBT,   but for ordering at 198 CHF Swiss
francs...., better not!!
Chris ADAM

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [Stoves] Celebrate! First-ever international standard for
laboratory testing of cookstoves published.
Datum: 2018-06-28T06:09:03+0200
Von: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at outlook.com>
An: "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves"
<stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>

Dear Ronal and All

Just on comment:

>>“I hope this standard is the last nail in the WBT coffin.”

>             [RWL:  I hope you are willing to change your mind on
"coffin", per the above.  What I do hope will soon be dead is the Chinese
stove standard which says to treat intentionally-produced char the same as
unburned fuel or ash.  I think the same for the South African standard.   I
can think of no reasonable rationale for such a position.

I think you may be misunderstanding something about how calculations are
made in the ISO test method. One of the most important metrics for stove
performance is assessing the amount of fuel fed into the stove in order to
accomplish a task such as baking 1000 cookies or boiling 200 ears of corn.

The metric is “Fuel Fed” (please see the list of definitions).

The mass of fuel fed was carefully written to capture the quantity of fuel
needed to accomplish some cooking task. Whether the stove produces char or
not is a secondary point. IT is easy to report the amount of char produced,
and there are metrics for doing so. It is the amount of char produced per
kg or per dry kg of fuel fed.

Importantly, the cheating that has been taking place using the WBT is not
brought to an end. If I look for the amount of fuel fed into the stove per
replication of some task, be it the standard one or a relevant one, I will
find the amount of fuel needed to do so. If there is a secondary product
such as condensate, char, heat that can be used for a secondary purpose
such as space heating, or electricity, these are all recorded in an
appropriate manner.

The cheat that was with us for so long, claiming as the WBT1.x, 2.x, 3.x
and 4.x that a stove did not consume fuel because it emerged from the
cooking session in the form of char, is gone, thankfully. Please refer
again to the definitions.

That ‘char deducted’ formula that you refer to is an energy calculation
that relates to the fraction of energy in the fuel fed that was released
(theoretically) during cooking. It no longer refers to the mass of fuel
fed, as it once did.

This is a major advance in testing methods. Only the stove testing groups
used the erroneous ‘char-deducted’ formula. When searching the literature
for some example elsewhere in industry, not a single one could be found
because the claim was fundamentally misrepresentative. That has now been
cleared up.

The remaining mentions of the WBT are for PR purposes only. Not a single
voice supporting the use of a “WBT-like” test was raised in the ISO
process. In fact it was put to a vote in exactly that form, in those words:
“WBT-like”. No one wanted it. Now, it is only for the organisations who
supported the WBT for so long to be given enough space for them to quietly
drop it while pretending that it was a valid method all along. To do
otherwise would be to admit they were cheating donors. We do not have to
extract that pound of flesh.

The ISO Standard is not anyone’s standard – it only has meaning when a
country adopts it, or adapts it. Any country contemplating adopting this
document as a national standard will have to consider how it will be
implemented, and whether all of it or some of it will apply. When it comes
to things like fuel efficiency, which is important in some regions, it is
likely the national standards body will apply its collective mind to what
portions of this massive document they will use. As anyone reading it will
quickly see, it is unnecessarily complex, and requires numerous pieces of
equipment that are very expensive if one is to have a reasonable level of
confidence in the result. Because a national standard provides a warranty
of performance, it is pointless to have as a test method something that
doesn’t provide it.

People seeking lower cost and more accurate alternatives may consider
adapting Indian IS–13152, China’s NB/T 43008 – 2012, or the CSI test method
which has been used internationally in some form since 2009.

The WBT 4.2.3 contained, when it does, some 75 systematic errors as well as
its much-discussed conceptual errors. We do not know yet how many are
contained in the ISO-19867-1 because it has not been reviewed conceptually
or systematically. Because the test method is novel, (untested) problems
with its implementation will have to be resolved at the national adoption
level, if it turns out to be acceptable ahead of other options.

The problems created by the WBT remain, however, as witnessed by the recent
release of the second edition of the Micro-gasifier Handbook which makes
barley any mention of testing and includes multiple references to
‘performance’ based on the obviously erroneous fuel consumption claims of
the WBT.

For anyone who is new to this topic I recommend reading the CREEC Lab test
of the Quad II stove (featured in that Handbook) which shows that the fuel
fed per replication of the test is 1.3 kg (as received) and claims a dry
wood fuel consumption of 636 g. I will read it again, but I think the
handbook does not address this issue squarely and it must in the next
edition. Char production is a secondary benefit and can negatively affect
the fuel consumption rate. Advocates should not shy away from discussing
it. A good example of how to handle secondary benefits is heating stoves,
which are assessed on the basis of the cooking provided, the heat provided,
and the combination. Where char is an additional secondary benefit, it
should also be listed in the form of carbon mass, if it is for
sequestering, energy, if it is for fuel, or total surface per gram if it is
for “activated” uses.

ISO TC-285 WG1, WG2, WG3, WG4.

P-member SABS TC-1043