[Stoves] Explaination of downdraft in TLUD updraft stoves --- was --Re: Mis-information

Hugh McLaughlin wastemin1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 22 17:41:03 CDT 2018

Paul,
I am unconvinced. One of the comments (the first - Arthur Noll) provides an explanation - it is the air being drawn into the base (primary air inlets) that stimulate the burning at the bottom.
Hugh

Noll's comment is copied below:

That is interesting, but I'm not convinced that pyrolysis products are coming out of the bottom.  You don't see any smoke coming out the bottom until you put the flaming stick in there.  The stick could be producing the smoke that hits the bottom of the can, turns sideways and joins the flow of air, much of which is rising up the sides between the containers, while smaller amounts are going in to the wood.  If it were correct that products of  pyrolysis  were going down and then up, I would expect to see a significant amount of smoke coming out the bottom and up the sides all the time, not just when the stick was put in.  And I would expect to see soot and tar precipitating out on the surfaces between the containers. Pyrolysis produces a combination of gases, smoke, soot and tar. It is messy.  I have built these stoves and this area is always clean, even after many burns,  just like what you have is clean.  I have always felt that the smoke, tar and gas from the pyrolosis was rising up, and the preheated air coming out the secondary air holes,  going into this mixture of flammable gas and vapor, made the jets of flame.  I don't think it makes any difference whether you have a jet of air going into a mass of flammable gas or if you have a jet of flammable gas going into a mass of air, both can give you a jet of flame.