[Stoves] Down with Fantasy-draft stoves

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:32:36 CDT 2018

Andrew,
If you are curious you can 'freeze' theTLUD process at any point by setting
the a TLUD in a pan of water that shuts off the air and wicks water into
the raw pellets in the bottom of the fuel chamber. They will swell and wick
all the way up to the Migrating Pyrolysis Front . The Torrefied layer and
the char above will not swell. A careful excavation of the fuel will reveal
all. When I did  this with the 18 inch diameter chamber I found a
horizontal layer of an inch, or a bit  less, of pellets in transition from
raw pellet to torrified pellet to charred pellet.  Misting the outside of
the stove will can also give clear impression of a planar descent of the
MPF.

With very dry fuel like wood  pellet very little primary air is required.
That primary air  can be introduced above the fuel with the secondary air
and drop down and spread out below the
pyrolysis front.  If introduced tangentially the cooler fresh air
centrifuges to the outside edge of a round chamber and the flame tornados
up the middle. A layer of fresh air one millimeter thick descending around
the edge of a fuel chamber would be enough. Not a lot of control but this
resembles what many people have used this sort in other contexts. With
fussy fuel quality and placement it behaves in the steady top down way that
a TLUD does with a little extra char burning.

Alex