[Stoves] How to conduct research on hardware with a strong social involvement (like stoves)

Xavier Brandao xav.brandao at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:00:45 CDT 2018

Dear Nikhil,

You probably already know, but it may not be clear to everyone, this article is actually a satire from the New-York Times of 1948, and Paul Jennings was an humorist. Pierre-Marie Ventre never existed, nor the resistentialism theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism

What is your point Nikhil? That there is little humans can do against the laws of physics and nature, so the mere idea that we can improve human health by lowering air pollution is foolish and pure vanity?

Nature (things) kill humans. And humans kill humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_by_death_toll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll

Until we have clear evidence that it is volcanos and sandstorms which mostly cause deadly respiratory diseases, I think it still makes some sense to try to mitigate human emissions.

Best,

Xavier