[Stoves] Ultrafine particles (Re: Xavier

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 21 23:01:16 CDT 2018

‎Dear Xavier

Concerning your last question, we have some strong evidence in small numbers of homes in Kyrgyzstan that COPD is directly related to PM2.5 exposure, and that exposure has been quantified, together with the medical examination. By changing the PM2.5 exposure the lung function changed. There are a few score cases to show.

The effect can be replicated quite easily on an hour by hour basis by putting a person into or out of a room with PM2.5 in the air. The test mechanism is a lung function device. The smoke aggravates the condition.

It is safe to assume it also causes the condition, but that is not a medical diagnosis. ‎That is an assumption informed by opinions.

The effect of CO from stoves is easily shown be exposure measurements and blood analysis.

For interest,   some of the best PM research has been done by NYSERDA. I can connect you to a couple of the top researchers if you want to hear from them directly. They have some classic slides.