[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 93, Issue 19

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:38:40 CDT 2018

>>Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 17:00:15 +0000
>>From: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com>
(snip)In the same way that the EPA has built sets of regulations ? quite
expensive ones ? upon poorly documented evidence, or secret evidence (which
is not evidence at all), (snip)

I can speak to a small piece of this, being familiar with NSPS, the New
Source Performance Standards national woodstove particulate emissions
regulations in the United States. They were based on work that was
originally done in Oregon, who was the the first to regulate woodstove PM
emissions (or, rather, establish a certification system for woodstoves
based on standardized laboratory PM emissions testing). A lot of the work
was done by my good friend the late Paul Tiegs from OMNI, and his colleague
the late Stockton (Skip) Barnett. Skip developed the portable dilution
tunnel that we (Masonry Heater Association) are still using and that most
of the original clean burning stoves were developed on. A lot of work was
done examining things like fueling protocols, repeatability, cribs vs
cordwood, etc., and back then was funded by EPA Region 10. I recently
unearthed an AWMA paper that provides some of the details:
heatkit.com/research/downloads/keepers/Oregon%20s%20Woodstove%20Certification%20Program.pdf
..........Norbert

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders