[Stoves] particulate size retention

Xavier Brandao xav.brandao at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:36:19 CDT 2018

Dear Crispin,

"Our lives are full of ultrafine particles"
Sure, but often, that kind of statement is used by those who, calling
themselves "skeptical", want to discourage any kind of action. Of course you
are not one of them. Like saying: "sure, increased rates of murders, but
death is part of life, and there are a lot of possible ways to die."

WHO said Finland has the world's cleanest air. That is, the least small
particles per cubic meter of air:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/who_finland_has_the_worlds_cleanest_air/1
0188554
Yet, Finland has plenty of forests, of coniferes, and wetland (are small
particles emitted by wetland actually or not?).
My point is: to me, it is important to try to give a hierarchy to causes,
even when we lack specific data.
Because I know cats are everywhere, but volcanos, dust storms, and veld
fires aren't.
It is important I believe, to admit that yes, likely, stoves and cars might
have an impact on the air we breathe, and also on our health.

"Smoke is bad for you. Fine."
Some skeptical will say: "yeah, but how bad? What kind of smoke? Proofs? Is
it worth for health than, say, junk food?"

"We don't have to create an inverted pyramid of wild guesses standing on
that single point."
But isn't that precisely the purpose of science, to understand as much as
possible a given problem?

"Let's get on with deleting it."
Amen. I am all for action, and pouring millions of dollars into solving the
air pollution problem.

Best,

Xavier