[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** RE: Stoves Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Tue May 29 11:42:15 CDT 2018

It is difficult conceptually to even think about the mechanism whereby submicron particles interact with matter. I have suggested to you it is a question of momentum.  At the sub-micron scale “surfaces” are a moosh of electrons – that’s all you can see as you approach the surface.  You may be lucky, and be riding a particle which is looking for an electron, but even so with that excess of surface electrons you are likely to get repulsed. Alternatively you may be going fast enough (Boltzmann allows it) to dash through the Coulomb barrier.

These probabilities are calculable and lead to low adsorption at less than 0.5 micron. I’ve given you a mechanistic, Newtonian interpretation, which is a good enough first approximation. Being more exact gets fun but some of the approximations you have to make are hairy.

Hope that gives some clarity

Philip