[Stoves] Spherical Cow Dung Balls for ND-TLUDs in Bangladesh

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:37:59 CDT 2018

Hi all;

I have suggested to Mahbubul (my colleague in Bangladesh) that cow dung may
be used as a binder for material that is compressed or forced through an
extruder.  That would increase the energy density of the fuel and increase
the run-time of a batch loaded TLUD.

There is a recent paper that used cow dung as a binder for fire bricks.
Khurshid, I; Ahmad, S; Nawaz, R; Arshad, M; Dar, MEUI; Imran, M; Aslam, F;
Nasir, R; Shah, GM; Ahmad, N; Naeem, MA.  2018.  Development of fire bricks
from organic waste: an eco-friendly energy solution.  Applied Ecology and
Environmental Research  16: 3919-3932  DOI: 10.15666/aeer/1604_39193932
http://www.aloki.hu/pdf/1604_39193932.pdf

Not all cow dung is the same, and cow dung (fluid) from a large herd of
confined dairy cattle would be different from dung (balls) from cattle
grazing rough cellulosic vegetation.  Dung from dairy farms could likely
include urine, and could be quite a slurry.

Which segues into the topic on cow dung from India containing plastic.  I
was actually making a glancing reference to a really bad situation.  Cows
in India are dying from plastic pollution that causes impacted rumens.
 That is not a problem in Bangladesh, because the Government restricts the
use of plastic packaging.

Cheers,
Julien.

--