[Stoves] 1934 TLUD wood, charcoal and coal gasifier - in a Citroen!

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 8 16:27:22 CST 2018

Crispin,

Thanks to you and Todd for the message.  Great link to a site with a fantastic collection of cars.   I am glad the coal-powered car is discussed at minute 1:30 of the 15 minute video.

I had not seen it before.

Such cars are NOT operated as a TLUD  device with a MPF.   These are coal gasifiers that can be updraft or downdraft, with the hot zone near the bottom right from the beginning.

I am involve with “char gasification” for operating internal combustion engines, with my friend Gary Gilmore of western Pennsylvania.   But it is with CHAR (such as TLUD char) that is low in volatile matter (tarry stuff).  Our goals include CHAR-power for generating about 10kW elect using a genset.  We know it works.   We are putting together the pieces now pilot work.

Doing that with coal is a topic for someone else.   Coal generally (but there are different types of coal) has volatile matter, and that is probably why the car in the discussion needs 10 minutes to “warm up” and  has some filters that we are not using with the char-gas.

This topic is more for the Gasification Listserv, so I do not expect much  further discussion here.

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>       Skype:   paultlud