[Stoves] Drying fuel and manure for moisture content measurements

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Nov 19 10:10:34 CST 2018

I think this is a question for Frank.

Frank, how to you dry such samples, and are there different final temperatures for different types of tests?

Do I lose something between 60 and 100 C that has heating value? In wood, the volatiles lost below 270-ish are a net loss on energy invested. Sugars burn, but maybe the return is less than the investment.

Thanks
Crispin

If you have ever wandered into a agricultural research station when drying ovens contain manure samples, you know that there can be a "slight" aroma problem.  Even drying wood or pellets is not free of smells.

When assessing the combustion qualities of fuel we often have to know the dry weight of what is being burned.  Drying at 105 °C is the standard practice which drives off almost all water except that which is bound to particle surfaces.   Drying at 60 °C is used for drying agricultural feed samples, when you don't want to change the chemical structure of the sample, especially sugars.

So how to do this if you don't have a drying oven?

It has occurred to me that drying fuel out-doors in an electric slow-cooker may do the trick.  Place the fuel in on a trivet so it is not in direct contact with the cooker walls.

Cheers,
Julien

--
Julien Winter