[Stoves] Stove competition on The Mall

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Nov 19 13:36:26 CST 2018

Dear Steven

It must have been provided by Okofen.  The generator is a Qnergy 7.1 kW unit derated for the product they are building.

http://www.okofen-e.com/en/pellematic_e_max/

It has an overall efficiency (electrical) of 10% so it is only applied to their 50 kW furnaces (as far as I hear).

The generator is particularly complicated and particularly expensive. It has helium running at 50 bars moving through really expensive thin pipes.

I asked them for a smaller unit and they offered to build one if I gave them a million $ worth of orders. At present there is no economically viable small generator save TEGs which are not very efficient and amazingly fragile, thermally speaking.

Incidentally the efficiency of the Qnergy unit calculated on the basis of how much of the absorbed heat gets turned into electricity is 45% which is amazing. That relates to the internal workings, not the heat available from the gas stream.

We can count this as an as-yet-unsolved problem.

Crispin - the 5 kW stove charging the Tesla was a wood pellet unit with a Stirling engine made by Okofen.