[Stoves] Fwd: The Economist: Wood-burning stoves, the picturesque polluters

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 17:20:50 CDT 2018

Andrew:

Re:  "also eliminate other sources in the local environment."

a) Some of it is natural; b) if you drop the equitoxicity assumption, these
% shares are irrelevant. Maybe it is more important to drop BC from diesel
than to shut down wood stoves for home heating.

Remember, in the Kirk Smith worldview, it is only the PM2.5 from solid
fuels that HAP premature deaths are attributed to.

That there is no observed quantity and duration of exposures to just HAP
PM2.5 is one issue with GBD "estimates". But more fundamentally, how can
one eliminate non-fuel PM2.5 - not just from tobacco smoke, a known
carcinogen, but also all the emissions from foods, livestock management,
"natural" dust - and even PM5 and PM10, which includes pollen and such -
and achieve a target reduction in "dosage"?

Now, HAPIT does pretend to adjust for PM2.5 Ambient Air Pollution (AAP) in
its computation of aDALYs. Without going into the jugglery of  math and
data there, or the issue of equitoxicity of PM2.5, causality of PM2.5,
etc., the simple question is, "Where will gas penetration in cooking not be
countered by increase in concentrations from sources other than solid fuels
for household cooking?"

Which is why the search for an emission-based "cleanliness" rating a la ISO
fails to pass a laugh test on first principles.

The only objective of a clean cookstove - like any other combustion device
with organic fuels - is a significant improve in air quality, toward some
contextually defined levels. The rest is bizarre song-and-dance of the cult
of environmental public health.

With air quality measured in terms of particular constituents, NOT this
idiocy called PM2.5.

Nikhil