[Stoves] The Economist

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:39:36 CDT 2018

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:34, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends
>
> This article was linked from the Alliance for Green Heat to the Economist:
>
> https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/08/25/wood-burning-stoves-the-picturesque-polluters

I'm suffering from deja vue Crispin, pay attention at the back.

> The last line is interesting:
>
> "The black smoke will continue to waft from the chimneys of well-to-do homes until wood-burners go back out of fashion."
>
> It is this type of ignorance about what smoke is, what products are available on the market and what "fashion" means that produces such a comment. The author apparently believes that wood "contains smoke".

Perhaps you should educate him then

> Because of the massive rise in the cost of heating a home (due to misbegotten energy policies) many people are installing a wood burning stove. That is not a "fashion" it is survival.  The fuel is attacked as the problem, not the poorly designed stoves.

No it's largely fashion and the "logs" sold for the purpose  are
definitely a luxury good as the price paid is higher than the cost of
the same heat from natural gas or oil in UK.

Andrew