[Stoves] The Economist: Wood-burning stoves, the picturesque polluters

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:09:00 CDT 2018

Andrew:

On the red-lined text in your reply (if colors come through):

1. In Kirk Smith/WHO schema of HAP BOD, not only is AAP not included, nor
is any other source of HAP other than solid fuels combustion. (And arguably
not even that. There is no "build up" based on measurements solid fuel
quality and quantity, emission rates during cooking periods, net of
ventilation, and ingestion, associated with disease incidence. Nothing.
Slap a number for PM2.5 daily concentration for all the households assumed
to cook with solid fuels, and compute Relative Risk for particular
diseases. Voila! People are killed!!)

So, your view that " eliminating any one of the sources is never going to
eliminate the problem" is all the more relevant in the context of cooking
fuels and technologies.

To put bluntly, "truly health protective" is meaningless jargon.

In turn, we need to keep in mind that there is no single measure of
pollution - PM2.5 is an indicator, and chemical/size composition is key, to
the extent causality is established - and that there is no single "the
problem" - frequency, intensity, duration of disease vary, and vary also by
age, sex, nutritional and health conditions as well as the available
treatment alternatives.

To be blunt, a simplistic notion that "reduce pollution emission rates,
solve the problem" is deceit. Gas and electricity sell without being
branded as oils of different snakes

2. At least according to Tony Cox's review earlier this year, the case for
PM2.5 causal link to disease is yet untenable. There are all sorts of
claims about particulates getting in the blood. How they are "linked" to
disease and disabilities remains a matter of faith and persuasion. In any
event, Smith/WHO don't have data on causes of death or duration of
disability in most of the developing world.

It's all a fancy imaginary cheesecake with imaginary Cognac vats. Enjoy!!

There is more literature on diesel emissions, but rather pathetic; in
India, for instance, diesel emission factors for different kinds of engines
- cars, trucks, captive power generators from home to industrial users,
stationary motive power - according to location and operating factors -
just don't exist. (This problem is well-known in energy community, but
environmental health types cook up data and deaths at will.)

We just know very little of how to reduce the air pollution diseases in the
developing world - from AAP or HAP.  That " others are not so fortunate"
applies to lower-income households in UK as well as in the developing world
- in particular, regions that have severe winters and poor housing
conditions.

3.  Now, I have some definition of "contextually defined levels" of "
significant improvements in air quality". Will write more in a paper I have
started but, two elements:

1) Locally enforced or enforceable standards (ambient at least, indoor if
any such exist);
2) Some indicators of potential improvement and means (affordability,
logistics of the supply chains of fuel, equipment, services); and
3) Some alternatives for emergency exposure management.

More later. Views welcome.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831