[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 97, Issue 11

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:32:24 CDT 2018

Hi Andrew:
I have not used one, or seen a sensor in the flesh.
My friend in Fairbanks Alaska says they have local neighbourhood groups
starting
an ambient air sampling program, using a new device that attaches to a
smartphone.

It is an LED or LED laser light source, with a sensor placed off-axis, so
that it only
catches scattered light. Additional electronics convert it to a particle
count, which may be why
there is an upper limit. A while back we were looking at one that was
calibrated to give
particle counts at 2 different sizes. Apparently they are used quite widely
in China for personal
monitoring of indoor air quality in conjunction with air cleaning devices.

I doubt whether the flow speed through it would affect the particle
concentration, ie if you
put a sampling tube on it.

However, if you put a sampling tube with a T inlet for dilution air
you might be able to get a known dilution ratio, simply from knowing the
PM concentration in
two different air sources, which are each individually measurable with the
instrument within its
given range.  ...........Norbert