[Stoves] NDTLUD Basics

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Fri Sep 14 06:55:17 CDT 2018

Could someone please point me to where I can find information about how
to calculate hole sizes, number and ratio between primary and secondary
air holes in  conventional tincanium NDTLUD stoves?

I can do the maths based on calculating area of a hole from the drill
size diameter, and my measurements of Tom Reed woodgas campstoves told me
if I remember correctly that the air ratio there was about 1 primary to 6
secondary, but is there also any recommendation with a ND stove as to the
volume of primary and/or secondary air in relation to the burn chamber
diameter and possibly depth?

I realise that these ratios are adjusted to suit the fuel, moisture
content heat requirement etc, but wondered if there were guidelines based
on close to zero moisture wood?  After a lot of interesting
experimentation with the cheap chinese NDTLUDs and a variety of fuels and
conditions, and another month spent happily relying on them in Scotland
this year, now we are home I want to see if I can reliably burn my
stovetop dried wood in a larger home made stove and pass Paal Wendelbo's
'does it make my eyes sting?' test.  This morning's breakfast, while a
clean looking smokeless flame didn't.

Thanks,

Neil Taylor