[Stoves] New book by Prof Philip Lloyd

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 17:10:33 CDT 2019

Andrew - cc list and Crispin

	1.  I had a similar problem - but I could read it.   I possibly could make a copy -but with great difficulty.  Maybe someone will come up with an easy approach.

	2.  This is a 9-page paper - not a book.  It is arranged as a few more than 69 short (10-12 line) paragraphs - one for each of the 69 cites.   There are not quite 20 years covered,  so there are only a few more than 3 papers per year.  But the final year (2011) there were 9 papers - which I’d like to cite using their format, but I had trouble.  All of the cites say this "2001 …...- 19 th DUE,Cape Peninsula University of Technology, CapeTown, 12-13 April 2011,"

Hughes, A.G. and Matsika, R.. Fuel use in Welverdiend, Mpumalanga: socio-economic factors,fuel choice and quantities of fuel used.  pp 11-16

Kimemia, D.K., Annegarn, H.J., Robinson, J.,Pemberton-Pigott, C. And Molapo, V. 2011.  pp 21-25

Lodoysamba, S. And Pemberton-Pigott, C.  Mitigation of Ulaan Bataar city‟s air pollution –  from source apportionment to ultra-low emission lignite-burning stoves.  pp 27-32

Makonese, T., Chikowore, G. and Annegarn, H.J. Potential and prospects for improved cookstoves (ICS) in Zimbabwe.  pp 33-40

Makonese, T., Robinson, J, Pemberton-Pigott, C.And Annegarn, H.  Preliminary comparison between the Heterogeneous protocols and the WaterBoiling Test.  pp 41-47

Mapako, M. 2011. Improved stoves in SouthernAfrica: a solution for all seasons?    pp 49-53.

Matinga, M.M., Robinson, J.W. and Annegarn, H.J. Global alliance for clean cookstoves:implications for South Africa., pp 55-5968.

Pemberton-Pigott, C.  Development of a low-smoke Mongolian coal stove using the heterogeneous testing protoc.  pp 65-71.

Robinson, J., Ibraimo, M. And Pemberton-Pigott, C.  Uncontrolled cooking test; measuring three-stone fire performance in Northern Mozambique. pp 71-76

	3.  Googling finally got me to “DUE” -  "Domestic Use of Energy."  This at one time also included the term “Electric” - and most of the stove papers are promoting electricity for cooking

	4.  Here is a one-year later cite:  https://www.researchgate.net/conference-event/DUE_Domestic-Use-of-Energy-Conference_2012/12726.  - but again only helpful if you have access to “Researchgate:
	"A comprehensive review on small-scale combustion technologies in Southern Africa, what is known, done and emergent knowledge gaps? Daniel Masekameni, Kevin K. Kasangana and Tafadzwa Makonese
		As throughout all this search - I saw no mention of TLUDs anywhere.

	5.  I spent too much time wandering around - and so will only mention this water boiling unit that might have some interest:
	"Potential of bio-fuel geysers: Characterisation and performance evaluation of the Shiza Manzi bio-fuel geyser.  • Tafadzwa N. Makonese, Jeff Vincent Robinson, +1 author Harold Annegarn

	  Googling for “Shiza Manzi” brings up a lot of interesting material  (some videos) on a South African 20 gallon water heating “geyser”.  Marginally appropriate to this list (relatively high cost and not for cooking) - but it is high efficiency and (surprisingly) identified as “down draft”.  Not bottom lit.   It would be interesting to see if anyone has tried bottom lighting to get the char-making equivalent of a TLUD.
	Note the many times the name “Makonese” has shown up;  has done some good work.

Ron