[Stoves] Ghana news: Clean charcoal cookstoves to help solve climate change

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 8 20:53:51 CST 2019

Nikhil,

Thanks for bringing that Ghana / South Korea item to our attention.   I would have missed it otherwise.

Using the provided numbers, there will be 500,000 stoves with an average life of  4 years (3 – 5).  I think that charcoal stoves could be credited with 1 to 2 carbon credits (CC) per year.  ( I  will  use 1 CC/yr and then it is simple to multiply it larger if merited)

That would be 500,000 CC per year X 4 years = 2 million CC for the total project.

Cost of project is estimated at US$5.5 million, but did not say if all of that money was from South Korea.   Assuming 90% ($5 million), then the South Koreans are acquiring carbon credits at US$ 2.50 per CC.   (check my math, but I think that seems correct).

So, if the stoves last 5 years, or if the S. Korean funds are less than the $5 million, or it the CC per stove is greater than 1.0 (say 1.5 or 2.0), the South Korean expense per CC would be even less, maybe even only half.

1.  Good Public Relations for South Korea and a rock bottom  price for CC to help South  Korea meet its climate commitments.
2.  Some cookstove improvements in Ghana, including creating some local jobs and $10 per stove investment  into the economy.
3.  Some reduction in carbon emissions to the atmosphere, which is climate positive.

That makes it a Win – Win – Win situation.

How come there is not more of this being done?

And why $10 per stove for a charcoal burner when better “bang for the buck” can be had with other stoves?     (and some of us are working toward a $10 TLUD-ND with much more benefits).

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com<http://www.drtlud.com>
     Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>       Skype:   paultlud
     Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org<http://www.JuntosNFP.org>  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects
     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits
     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.
Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org<http://www.capitalism21.org>)
     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.