[Stoves] Off-topic: World Bank chart on the slowest progress in the access to "clean cooking fuel" in the world's poorest countries

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 06:16:59 CST 2019

Crispin:

Jump up and down, and scream, as much as you want that fuels are not dirty
or clean. This is what the World Bank reports on "IDA Countries" (those
eligible to borrow at concessional rates or receive grants. Does not
include China, India, Brazil, South Africa, and many such "middle income"
countries..)

"Better Biomass Stoves" don't do a thing if solid fuels are by definition
"dirty".  This is w hat EPA contractors have achieved in roughly 20 years.
(I am counting from the origins of PCIA, circa 2002.)

I propose a raffle - pick a number between 0 and 3 billion for number of
people worldwide who would still report solid fuels as the primary or
secondary cooking and heating fuel in 2030. (Census and household survey
instruments usually ask only "primary", but we squarely know from at least
India that stacking is rampant and we expect that to continue, considering
the prospects of a global carbon tax or a global financial crash, what with
a total of $250 trillion debt all around).

In Kirk Smith's world, it doesn't matter what solid fuel is used, how much,
how. Pick a number for population reporting solid fuel use, then assign a
number for concentration of PM2.5 from HAP (irrespective of composition,
duration, and other pollutants in or outside the "household", whatever that
means.) Then read off the line of Integrated Exposure Review for Relative
Risk, combine with Population Attribution Fraction. Kill people by
assumptions.

I pick 3 billion. Assuming professor Smith's assumptions don't change, that
means some 50 million more dead by dirty cooking fuels in ten years.

https://img.datawrapper.de/YuSAA/full.png

[image: image.png]
Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831