[Stoves] Analysis of emission profiles from charcoal produced from selected tree species by different pyrolysis methods

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:46:34 CST 2019

Good morning all,

Being a big proponent of growing more of these types of indigenous trees
for charcoal in Kenya (we include free seeds with each stove purchase) I am
happy to see this report on the different emission levels from various
types of charcoal.

How different emissions from charcoal would affect the taste of food is
anyone's guess, but it does lend credence to stories I have heard of why
chefs in the Middle East etc. insist on importing tons of illegal acacia
charcoal from Somalia.

More tests on the dozens of other species of local trees that are preferred
for firewood/charcoal would be most interesting to read if anyone has any
that they could share.

*''All the charcoal from the three tree species under study emitted similar
types of PAHs but at significantly different concentrations. A.
xanthophloea charcoal prepared by efficient pyrolysis emitted the least
concentration of PAHs. Thus, according to this study, using charcoal
produced from  A.  xanthophloea by efficient pyrolysis presents a better
opportunity to reducing exposure from PAHs emit-ted from biomass fuels.''*

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s13762-019-02220-x?author_access_token=XDpVhLZRgWpLPgeDkoTvCfe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY4TAzk706nlQbkDAKP1sFLIg30j6XGmh3a8qNepBVgX9Ho3rnVR3Bwh6UKPAk0PXABQcXH3pMGCxPXZphBhoV3PlFv8BcLjbyaIt4xOVZKisw%3D%3D

Teddy Kinyanjui
Sustainability Director

             <https://www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos>
<https://www.instagram.com/cookswelljikos>