[Stoves] [biochar] Methane from char-makers

kchisholm kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca
Fri Feb 22 05:21:11 CST 2019

Hi Paul

"Methane from Char-Makers" is a rather broad Subject Line. One can make char
with many systems and techniques, and one can expect to produce various
quantities of methane and char in various qualities. Clearly, a gasifier
producing "Engine Grade Gas" and Char" could have Char/Methane output
different from a TLUD, an externally heated retort, a Kontiki, a Three Stone
Fire, etc.

In your case, where your major interest is in TLUD systems, it would appear
that one way to proceed would be as follows:

1: Do "methane analysis" on TLUD flue gas, under various operating
conditions, to determine how much, if any, CH4 is produced, and if any is
produced, under what operating conditions is it produced.

2: Considering the markets into which you are selling various TLUD systems,
is there a problem or opportunity associated with the presence or absence of
CH4 in TLUD exit gases?

If there are no methane related problems or opportunities associated with
your products and the markets into which you sell them, then you need have
little to no concern for methane.

Best wishes,

Kevin