[Stoves] [biochar] Methane from char-makers [1 Attachment]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:18:56 CST 2019

Crispin, Paul:

Incentives are one option, penalties another. If they can be enforced.

In Indian Punjab, this problem was unintentionally addressed by a feed-in
tariff for biomass power that was high enough to collect and deliver the
agro waste to the power plant.

That was around 2004, when I met one of the project developers. Two years
later, he found it uncompetitive because the farmers were demanding higher
price at the farmgate - they had another customer, namely, brick kilns for
the exploding construction market all around.

You can't solve an air basin quality problem by one cookstove at a time or
one farm at a time;  tinkering with emission rates and measuring them with
lab protocols amounts to nothing unless there is an area-wide
transformation of sources and/or fuels. This is where both the stovers as
well as the gassers - I am coining a new word - fail.

I have two economics phrases everybody should keep in mind - "elasticity"
(demand and supply, with respect to price, income, and substitutes) and
"discount rate".

Without economics, physics is useless.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai