[Stoves] [biochar] Methane from char-makers [1 Attachment]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:32:34 CST 2019

Crispin:

Agree, but

1. Fuels do matter. Hans-Peter brought up lignite. There is some lignite in
India but its distribution to non-power users is restricted. Its main
contribution to air pollution comes, I think, from brick kilns in certain
areas. I don't know what alternative combustors are viable for these kilns.
Also, I think some lignite is high-sulfur; substitution by hard coal or
wood or agro wastes will change the emission profile and, depending on
meteorological conditions, pollution profiles. I don't remember ever seeing
much lignite in Chinese statistics. Maybe sub-bituminous (which India
doesn't have much of).

2. Non-combustion wastes of fuels also matter. It's not all combustion
technology.

I am aghast at the stovers and the gassers babbling about air quality.
Fuels are not emissions are not concentrations are not exposures are not
all there is to health.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831