[Stoves] The Blues

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:06:44 CST 2019

Aaron,
Let me riff a little on this question of flame colour. For the moment, set
aside any inorganic elements and their effects.   Orangey flames with
hydrocarbon based fuels are related to the radiant properties of a variety
of long chain hydrogen and carbon compounds (soot) which self assemble in
the fuel rich regions low in oxygen. I see reference to soot where
molecules have H>10 and C>20 roughly speaking. Other colours of flame can
be present but invisible with an orange flame being visually dominant. This
is a fast but not an instant process which can be largely prevented in
premixed flames.

The magical blues.

I've got some fuel and some air, baby
I've got some fuel and some air
*I've got some fuel and some air, baby*
*now what do I doooo....*

I'm completely premixed up
The soot has all gone away
My orange flame went and left me
all alone with my blues.

With herbaceous biomass we introduce a higher portion of elements like
potassium and other elements. These have multiple effects at different
levels of combustion processes. It can create all kinds of problems with
melting ash but it would be very interesting to know if it reduces soot
formation in the TLUD rice hull burners and facilitates the blue flame.
Lots of variables.
 Check out one in the following link.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786826.2016.1158398

Alex