[Stoves] farmed fuels

K McLean info at sun24.solar
Thu Jun 27 07:05:15 CDT 2019

Teddy,

We've done some work on a simple clay basket to improve the efficiency
cooking with corn cobs a fuels.  The basket seems to help.  We need to get
back to this soon.

Can you (or Ron) think of a way to modify this to produce biochar?

Here is that section from our Cookstoves Overview
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZryS7gQ1q3zKLZPM2KcXdtIHbOYQp4PbloPqMvrlZ5Y/edit?usp=sharing>
:

Clay Corn Cob Basket

Corn (maize) has become a major food crop in many developing countries.
Many women use corn cobs without kernels as fuel for cooking. For one to
two months after harvest, many women use cobs for cooking fuel.  There are
often two harvests a year.

The women  typically pile the cobs on the ground and light them.  The smoke
emitted is much worse than when using wood for fuel.

We have found that elevating the cobs and allowing air to circulate under
them lets the cobs burn more efficiently with much less smoke.

A clay basket with holes on the bottom works well.  Clay baskets are easy
to custom make. Or, you can use the clay liner from a charcoal jiko.  Just
elevate the basket with sticks or stones to allow air under the basket.

Here are videos showing the improvement by using a clay basket:

Kenya 1 <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Up-H1BasMBs7L4QfH8fDW5cqwLeI_cr0>

Kenya 2 <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Satt4sk9b3E-FwyHJSH_MOImM6m2FhMO>

Uganda 1
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rgm4iNgTor-k_XXDG4vFVnflYeQOS_FQ/view?usp=sharing>

Uganda 2
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PslBe4tFTq8AduC235uZ90MUCkJvQc5I/view?usp=sharing>

Here are two videos showing how a corn cob basket is made Uganda.

Making a spinning plate
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C_upZwxzdJItP_d4-YzzXYlfywKfvCpu>

Making a corn cob basket
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_WxHn0kO8dOO8N4I7XiRTO6Fi3NjYu5L>